Based in Gainesville, FL and Boston, MA
August 3rd, 2011
PC / Mac (Flash)
Hold onto your meat, Earthlings! OVNI is a sidescrolling stealth game in which interstellar pilots must harvest animal flesh without being spotted or running out of fuel. Inspirations include Defender, Lunar Lander, and Messhof's Flywrench.
After Josh read the COMETA report issued by the French government about the UFO phenomenon, he wanted to make a game which would simulate the delicate task of piloting a UFO on Earth while remaining completely hidden. Jon's first prototype simulated the automatic ship hover mechanic, and an early implementation of cow-harvesting, which were both strangely satisfying. The stealth element took some experimentation but soon evolved as a light-avoidance strategy with the ability to cloak the ship when moving through lit areas. Later, fuel conservation and insta-kill laser lights were added. The game is tied together with a narrative in the form of memos issued by the alien pilot's employer. OVNI was partly funded through a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign, and some levels and characters in the game are based on community submissions.
- Harvest meat from various lifeforms across the Earth and the far reaches of the galaxy!
- Online leaderboards encourage quick and fuel-efficient piloting
- Retro-inspired graphics and level design combined with more modern gameplay mechanics
- Crunchy sound effects generated by Pixelh8's Music Tech Pro Performer Game Boy cartridge
- Beautiful and intense musical score composed by chiptune artist NOTE!
Gameplay Video YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "This is extremely well-made. The huge variety of locations is impressive, and must have taken quite a bit of work. 5/5"
- xyroclast, Kongregate comment
- "SO THATS WHERE ALL THE POLAR BEARS ARE GOING!"
- metro11, Kongregate comment
- "Really fun game. Easy enough to get through, but found meeting the gold star criteria really hard."
- mohirl, Kongregate comment
- "Best. Credits. Ever. 5/5"
- 98Greener, Kongregate comment
OVNI Kickstarter page
More on the history and development of OVNI can be found at kickstarter.com.
About vested interest
vested interest is an indie game studio in Gainesville, Florida. The team is comprised of designer/artist/programmer Jonathan Yuhas and designer/writer Josh Leeper.
More information on vested interest, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Design, programming, art
Design, art, sound